Wednesday 16 October 2013

THE PRESENTS WE TAKE YEARS TO OPEN....


I sometimes look back at my life and think what would have done differently... very hard to say as I would not be who I am today...

In life we are handed presents that a lot of us take for granted, disgard or leave it for several years to go by to realise the true value of that gift... but the ones I love the most are those you find hiding away and have an opportunity to open with a wiser head on...

Some of you know that my education was not easy....I was dignosed as being dyslexic very early on... but was still branded mentally retarded and should have been in a mental institution...

 crumbs I cannot help if Maths is not my strong subject.... but one thing people do not realise when you are dyslexic a whole new world opens up for you...

 You see life in a new way, new patterns emerge that no one else seems to see... you find ways to make your life easy and simple ... I always thought being dyslexic was a curse...
 
 BUT my parents were so aware that there was more to me... they proved it when I had my IQ test done... yep up it was well above average , but only had the writing and reading age of a 9 years old at the age of 15...

 Now looking back it was sheer madness to let someone like me embark on a journey that would take me away from my famiy circle abroad, boarding in a foreign country, speaking english with a french accent ....

 But my determination was there....

 I had to do this...

 Mind you even though I loved my parents, I knew that I had to get out there to find myself...

 Who was I ? What was I really capable of doing?

 We are talking about a 15 year old. I was very lucky to spend 3 weeks that summer in London as an au pair for 3 boys whose mum was a learning support tutor but also spoke french.. so my daily routine would be tutorial in the morning and looking after the boys in the afternoon and evenings were homework time.... have to laugh as my tutor would say now Linda that is a dyslexic mistake, that is a translation and that is stupid mistake.. she was fab...

 in 3 weeks I got my reading and writing up to a 13 year.. now I was ready for England and a new educational system and lessons in english....

 I lasted two terms in my first boarding school ... just not enough mental stimulation....

 My next boarding school was amazing... the headmaster interviewed me and not my parents.... he realised that my grades where not great, but saw something in me that would be a big advantage to the school...I could organise, I had determination in other areas than academically.... there was a fighting spirit in me...

The amazing thing was that as the pressure was taken off me with my grades, I did really well.... well better than fails all round... got a B in biology... possibly a sign that some form of science would be part of my life.... which is not pick up in the work I do at Barn Therapy Centre www.barntherapy.com

I  got my A levels, never went to university as the course I wanted to do was not even in exsistance, Media... was I already aware where my path was going to lead me....

After years of working in Sales and Marketing, I know realise the purpose of my journey, the experiences, the ups and downs that I had to experience.  Belief it or not I had a job as a proof reader... I know crazy but because I could see patterns, I was fast at spotting mistakes... but not my own.

So it is now that looking back on my life, I have finally opened a very important gift that has made me realise that I am determined, I can succeed, I am human but also that I can see a different way to do things...

  I have to admit this is one of the biggest things I am finding currently running Epic Studios  www.epic-tv.com... alot happens unexpectably and you have to have a cool clear head on to deal with them without being flustered....

 So now you know that i belong to a unique and elite club.... some of you may also be in this club.. but I know I am in good company to have fellow members such as Richard Branson, Churchill, Tom Cruise, Susan Hampshire, Einstein, Steve Jobs and the list can go on and on.... We all have a different way of approaching life ..... and we are all unique....  

So beware everyone... never under estimate someone with dyslexia....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment